Sunday, July 13, 2008

Our Crazy Weekend

Grandma's Smith's funeral was on Saturday. We had several family members travel here to attend. Troy (2nd oldest sibling in Dayv's family) along with his wife, Yuko, their daughter Shiori and their two dogs stayed with us. I'm not sure how Troy felt about it but it was really nice having them over. Troy is extremely allergic to cats and didn't realize we had any (we have THREE). I guess he was able to survive with our air purifier plugged into the room he was sleeping in along with three times the recommended dosage of Benedryl! They had been living in Japan and just recently moved to San Diego. I hadn't even met them for several years after Dayv and I got married. But they are no different from the rest of Dayv's family. So, loving, accepting, and generous! Along with the same Van Orman sarcastic sense of humor, of course!

Grandma's funeral was very nice. It was one of the more happier funerals I have been to in a long time. There was a ton of family there that we have not seen in a long time and the kids had a blast playing with all the cousins.

There was a recent baptism in our ward! He is a 15 yr old boy. He had been coming to Young Men activities for quite some time so, while I was serving in the Young Women Presidency I got to know him a little bit better. He also lives just down the street from me and often hangs out with my neighbor's kids too. His family has had some very difficult things happen to them. Peter has been such a huge example to me of how strong a boy of such a young age can be despite his upbringing. No one in his family came to his baptism and now he has gotten his two younger brothers to come to church. Dayv and I bring them to church now and they are such cute boys! They really enjoyed coming and plan on continuing to come. Peter had also brought his 1 yr old niece. I was just in awe. I hope he continues to strengthen his family by his example. They really need that in their lives. I think the gospel is awesome! It can bring so much happiness and light into people's lives where there is none. It is just so exciting to watch!

No comments: