Friday, January 23, 2009

Cell Phone Thieves

I had lost my cell phone about a week ago. At first I thought my kids had picked it up and shoved it in a couch cushion or it was buried somewhere in the van. I got to thinking about it and then had a new theory that it might have been at my sister in law's house because that was the last time I remembered having it. I wasn't too stressed out about it and keep thinking it was just going to show up like it always does (I lose my cell phone almost on a daily basis. People who know me know they can never reach me it). I did however keep trying to call it to see if I had lost it and someone had found it but every time I tried it was turned off. Well, someone I knew tried calling my cell phone to talk to me and ended up getting some strange women who told her she had my phone and had been trying to locate the owner. When I got the news I immediately called my phone and was told that her son had found it at Smith's. We then set up a time to meet later that day at Smith's. That time came and I called my cell phone. I then got a different person who told me his ex-wife had just informed him that he was suppose to be dropping off this cell phone to the owner but he was on his way to Tooele and he could meet me the next day, same time. Next day comes, I call the cell phone and it is either shut off or dead. So, I thought well, maybe he'll be there anyway. Drive to Smiths, wait fifteen minutes, no show! At this point, I'm a little annoyed but still very trusting of these people. So, I tell my husband. He gets a little upset about the whole thing and keeps trying to call my phone with the same result: rings once then goes to voice mail. Then suddenly I get this grand idea (and don't ask me why I didn't think of this before) to look at my call record online to see if they have used it at all. This is when I discoved they had been using it since the very second they picked it up! Not only had they been using it to call people and have other people call them on it they sent over 30 text messages ( and I pay for every text I send)!! NOW, I get upset. Instead of some nice people who were kind enough to try and return my phone to me, I now believe I've got some cell phone thieves! As I'm looking at the record I realize now we have some alternate phone numbers for these people because the same 3 or 4 numbers keep coming up. Dayv starts calling them (at 10:30 at night) and just gets voice mails. We call Verizon and tell them the situation, have the phone reported stolen and shut off. Well, around 1:00 am we get a phone call. It is one of the people he tried calling. earlier wondering who had called his phone. Dayv tells him why he called and he tells Dayv he was sure the phone was already returned. When he hears what really happened he tells Dayv that he will get the phone returned today. Dayv tells him to just have whoever returns it to just take it to the lost and found at Smith's and then we will pick it up. So, I guess this is now a to be continued.....

No comments: